Saturday, July 21, 2007

The 7 years of plenty

I was born in Chegutu at the Chegutu general hospital, on the 4th of September 1963. I was the sixth born in the family of eight children, five boys and three girls.

My family clan are the descends of Zvimba chieftanship in Mashonaland West, Zezuru as our tribe.

My father and my mother devoted their lives in Christian worshiping, interceding for their family. Besides worshiping, they also attend to their garden and fields.

My family members are Phoebe, Norman, the late Ennita, the late Bartholomew, Abraham, Babra, Shupiko and myself.

When I was born in Chegutu, mother told me that I was born ill, with a big hole on the side of my stomach and it took twenty one days to be breast feed. She always recommended the white doctor who oversaw my speedy recovery to all her friends and relatives.

After coming out of the hospital I was nurtured in Chegutu, Kadoma and Zvimba. When I was around four years, I would travel with my grandma to visit her brothers in the farming areas of Msengezi.

I grew up used to all different types of environments -village type of living, town dwelling and farming life.

In our area the land was very rich. In the forest, and along the rivers we could see all types of wild fruits and it was a wetland were barley and rice were grown. The main stable crop was maize Bapoko, groundnuts and many more.

In the village we had an orchard were fruits were grown. Even today these fruits are being sold in towns around our area. In livestock we had everything.

I loved going fishing with my cousins, who used to carry me to Msengezi and Karoi rivers to catch fish. They usual ly used the fish traps and nets and we always had a big catch to take home. We were the most fortunate people.

White people used to come from as far as the United States of America, and they would creen Biblical films at our home.

My father was very energetic and gifted in singing. He was very popular among the people, and he used to travel all over Africa, preaching, singing and spreading the Gospel.

No comments: